World Health Organisation

Russia Defends WHO Against Trump Criticism

Russia Defends WHO Against Trump’s Criticism

Russia has defended the World Health Organisation (WHO) against recent criticism by U.S. President Donald Trump, arguing that the UN body is contributing significantly to the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

Last week, Trump said the WHO “really blew” its response to the virus by focusing too much on China and giving the U.S. bad advice at the beginning of the outbreak.

In a tweet, he also said Washington would take a “good look” at its WHO funding.

The WHO “is now doing a lot to curb the pandemic,” Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told state television on …

WHO Opens Up On 5G Mobile Spreading Coronavirus

WHO Opens Up On 5G Mobile Spreading Coronavirus

The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Friday said that viruses cannot travel on radio waves or mobile networks, saying COVID-19 is a respiratory disease.

WHO, through a statement on Friday, debunked the myth, adding that COVID-19 was spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes or speaks.

“People can also be infected by touching a contaminated surface and then their eyes, mouth or nose,” it said.

WHO added that COVID-19 was spreading in many countries that did not have 5G mobile networks.

It also said being infected with …

WHO Clarifies Rumours Of Coronavirus Being Airborne

WHO Clarifies Rumours Of Coronavirus Being Airborne

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has disclosed that the message spreading on social media that Coronavirus (COVID-19) is airborne, is incorrect.

The WHO headquarters in Geneva explained this in its official twitter account @WHO at the weekend.

The agency said the virus that causes COVID-19 was mainly transmitted through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or speaks.

“These droplets are too heavy to hang in the air. They quickly fall on floors or surfaces.

“You can be infected by breathing in the virus if you are within one

Mosquitoes Don’t Transmit Coronavirus – WHO

Mosquitoes Don’t Transmit Coronavirus – WHO

The World Health Organisation has said the novel coronavirus which has infected over 400,000 people and killed over 18,000 in 196 countries cannot be transmitted through mosquito bites.

In 2018, WHO reported that there were an estimated 228 million cases of malaria worldwide with over 405, 000 deaths.

It commented that of the global malaria burden, “Africa carries a disproportionately high share as the region is home to 93% of malaria cases and 94% of malaria deaths”.

However, in a list of COVID-19 myth busters released recently, the UN specialized agency for global health stressed that mosquitoes, which spread plasmodium …

There Is No Cure Yet For COVID-19 - WHO Chief Tedros

There Is No Cure Yet For COVID-19 – WHO Chief Tedros

There is currently no treatment that has been proven to be effective against COVID-19,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the World Health Organisation director-general said on Monday.

At a virtual news conference in Geneva, Tedros warned against the use of drugs not shown to work against the disease.

His remarks came as the number of deaths soared past 15,000, with more than 341,000 people infected worldwide.

“Using untested medicines without the right evidence could raise false hope and even do more harm than good,” he said.

Among other things, countries are looking at using antimalarial drugs as a treatment against the …

Coronavirus - WHO Chief Sends Message To World Youths

Coronavirus: WHO Chief Sends Message To World Youths

The World Health Organisation, WHO has sent a warning to world youths that the raging coronavirus does not respect them as they are also vulnerable.

Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus sounded the warning in an online news conference from Geneva.

Ghebreyesus was debunking the myth that youths generally enjoyed some immunity from the virus, which has killed over 11,000 people worldwide.

As at Saturday 276,621 coronavirus cases have been logged in the world. In Italy, now the worst hit in Europe, a record 4032 people have died out of 47021 people infected.

“Although older people are hardest hit, younger people are …

Covid-19 - We Recommend Paracetamol, Not Ibuprofen – WHO

Covid-19: We Recommend Paracetamol, Not Ibuprofen – WHO

People, who suspect they have caught the novel coronavirus, should not take the popular drug ibuprofen without consulting a doctor, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said.

WHO gave the warning, on Tuesday, pointing to the ongoing research into possible negative effects.

WHO’s spokesman, Christian Lindmeier, told a Geneva news conference that there are no recent studies that link the anti-inflammatory drug with increased mortality rates, but he added that experts are currently investigating the matter.

“We recommend paracetamol, not ibuprofen in self-medication,’’ Lindmeier said.

Read Also: Coronavirus Hits 27 Countries In Africa, See Full List

The UN agency’s comments …

Coronavirus - India Suspends Tourist Visas

Coronavirus: India Suspends Tourist Visas

As the World Health Organisation declares coronavirus a pandemic, the Government of India has suspended all tourist visas and e-visas granted on or before March 11.

All incoming visitors including Indian nationals are advised against non-essential travel.

“All existing visas, Tourist Visas, except diplomatic, official, UN/international organizations, employment, project visas, stand suspended till 15th April 2020,” it has said in the statement.

The order comes into effect from 1200 GMT on Friday, March 13.

Read Also: Coronavirus: Donald Trump Bans Flights From Europe

Visas of all foreigners already in India remain valid and they may contact the nearest FRRO/FRO through

WHO

Coronavirus: WHO Develops Guidance Documents

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says based on evidences available on Coronavirus (COVID-19), it has developed documents providing guidance for management of public health events at points of entry and during mass gathering.

WHO stated this on its official twitter handle at @WHO, in which the organisation urged governments to step up their efforts in preparing for the virus.

According to figures released by Chinese National Health Commission, a total of 79 new confirmed cases were reported on Tuesday outside Hubei, a 14th consecutive day drop since Feb. 3.

Meanwhile, a total of 890 new cases were reported outside Hubei …