social media

CBN Explains Why Nigeria Can’t Stop Borrowing

CBN Warns Nigerians Against Loan Offers, Investment Schemes

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has alerted Nigerians on fraudulent loan offers and investment schemes.

It cited information and videos circulating on social media.

The messages had asked loan seekers and small-scale business owners to apply for funds.

But in a statement, CBN said while it has several development finance intervention programmes for different categories of businesses, it does not directly interact with prospective applicants.

The apex bank explained that its interventions are only disbursed through participating financial institutions (PFIs) such as deposit money banks (DMBs), development finance institutions (DFIs) and microfinance banks (MFBs).

Read Also: CBN Clears Air

#EndSARS: Keyamo clarifies Ughelli incident, says victim not dead

#EndSARS: Keyamo Speaks On Ughelli Incident

The hashtag, #EndSARS has been trending on the social media in the past 24 hours as Nigerians, especially youths, recall the various atrocities they have suffered in the hands of the officers of the notorious Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS of the Nigeria Police Force.

One of the latest incidents that led to the revival of the rage against the SARS officers was alleged shooting to death of a young man on Saturday by officers of the special police unit originally created to combat armed robbery.

In the incident which led to protests in some parts of the town on Sunday, …

Unregulated Social Media Is Killing African Values – NOA

How To Maximise Profits From Your Business Using Social Media

Since the coming of the jet age, social media have had a huge impact on how businesses find and communicate with their audiences. Before the advent of social media, small scale businesses and startups had to rely on other means to boost and maximise their business networks.

These means include spreading local awareness campaigns, holding seminars and outreaches for a target audience, which are usually very expensive compared to the flexibility and influence of social media platforms. But with the coming of social media, there have been lots of transformations such as allowing startups to get in front of a …

Why Coronavirus Became A Social Media Nightmare

Why Coronavirus Became A Social Media Nightmare

The biggest reputational risk Facebook and other social media companies had expected in 2020 was fake news surrounding the US presidential election. Be it foreign or domestic in origin, the misinformation threat seemed familiar, perhaps even manageable.

The novel coronavirus, however, has opened up an entirely different problem: the life-endangering consequences of supposed cures, misleading claims, snake-oil sales pitches and conspiracy theories about the outbreak.

So far, AFP has debunked almost 200 rumors and myths about the virus, but experts say stronger action from tech companies is needed to stop misinformation and the scale at which it can be …

Fact Check - Has Putin Released Lions On Russia Streets

Fact Check: Has Putin Released Lions On Russia Streets?

Social media went on frenzy on Sunday as some reports claimed that Vladimir Putin has ordered a release of around 500 lions on the streets of Russia to ensure that people remain inside their houses during the coronavirus outbreak.

Pictures and Videos of lions on a street were being circulated and a tweet also claimed that “Vladimir Putin has given Russians two options. You stay at home for 2 weeks or you go to jail for 5years. No middle ground.”

Nasir Chinioti ناصر چنیوٹی@_Chinioty


Vladimir Putin has given Russians two options.

You stay at home

Sanusi Sanusi’s Daughter Reacts To Her Father’s Dethronement

Sanusi’s Daughter Reacts To Her Father’s Dethronement

Khadija Lamido Sanusi, one of the children of dethroned Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II, has reacted to the strange condolence messages being sent to her on social media following the removal of her father from office on Monday.

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano had on Monday, dethroned Emir Sanusi for gross insubordination and disobedience to constituted authority. Almost immediately, Aminu Ado Bayero was appointed at the new Emir of Kano Emirate.

Although her father has since accepted the government’s decision as fate, Khadijah, however, lashed out on Nigerians sending condolence messages in a series of now-deleted tweets.

Read Also: Reno Omokri

Nigerians React To Ganduje’s Removal Of Sanusi

Nigerians React To Ganduje’s Removal Of Sanusi

Social media is currently buzzing following the dethronement of the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, by the Kano State Government.

The removal of Sanusi was announced by the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Usman Alhaji, after the State Executive Council meeting on Monday.

According to him, a new emir would soon be appointed.

Usman Alhaji said Emir Sunusi’s dethronement was as a result of unanimous decision taken by Kano State Executive Council.

Many Nigerians have taken to the micro-blogging website, Twitter to condemn the decision of Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje.

Some users said the governor who was …

Rukutana Warns ‘Idle Ugandans’ Over Social Media Misuse

 

Minister of State for Labour, Mr Mwesigwa Rukutana has warned ‘idle youths’ against what he described as increased tendencies of misuse of Social media platforms by posting hate and sectarian information aimed at frustrating government projects.

According to the minister who is also the MP Rushenyi County, social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram were designed to help people keep up with friends, unite those with distinct ideas and help government where there are some loopholes.

However, social media users in Uganda have a tendency of spreading propaganda and sensational information, according to Mr Rukutana.

He said this

Imam with journalists and EFCC head of publicity, Wilson Uwujaren in Port Harcourt on Wednesday

Port Harcourt Cell: EFCC Declares Twitter Blogger Wanted

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has vowed to apprehend the @TheRealdayne, the promoter of a report in the social media, claiming its Port Harcourt holding facility is overcrowded and alleging mistreatment of detainees.

Head of the Port Harcourt Zonal office, Usman Imam, at a media briefing today dismissed the report as fake news. It was the second time the agency would debunk the report which went viral.

According to him, “the picture of detainees crammed into an open air cell purported to belong to the EFCC Zonal office in Port Harcourt is fake. The images are strange to …