shipwreck

130 Killed In Libya Shipwreck, Despite SOS Calls

130 Killed In Libya Shipwreck, Despite SOS Calls

No fewer than 130 people lost their lives to a shipwreck off the Libyan coast despite SOS calls for help according to the UN migration agency.

The tragedy was confirmed late on Thursday by the volunteer rescue vessel, Ocean Viking, which found dozens of bodies floating in the water northeast of Tripoli.

It had been in distress since Wednesday morning, the NGO said in a statement.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva Switzerland, IOM spokesperson, Ms. Safa Msehli, said that the victims had been on board a rubber dinghy for two days before it sank in the central Mediterranean.

Read Also: