military

Military To Conduct Live Shooting Exercise In Jibia-Katsina

The 17 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Katsina, has called on residents to steer clear from the 35 Battalion Range, located in Natsinta village, Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State as it prepares to conduct military drills.

The troops of 3 Brigade revealed that it would be conducting a live ammunition shooting exercise in the area, on Friday, March 18, 2022.

The announcement was contained in a press statement sighted by Africa Daily News, New York which was signed by the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, of the 17 Brigade, Lieutenant Sinivie Tamuno.

Read Also: Nigerian Army Opens

'Osinbajo Has Paid His Dues, He Should Be Next President'

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo Heads Committee To Engage With Youths

An emergency virtual meeting of the National Economic Council (NEC) on Monday set up a committee headed by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to interface with youths in the country on employment, social safety net and national security.

Read Also: There Are Cracks In Nigeria – Yemi Osinbajo

The committee is to also engage the representatives of civil society organisations, religious and traditional leaders for the same reasons.

This is coming on the heels of the nationwide #EndSARS youth protests demanding an end to police abuses and the disbanding of the controversial Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police Force.…

China flexes military muscles near Taiwan Strait, warns US

China Flexes Military Muscles Near Taiwan Strait, Warns US

The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) conducted real-combat military exercise near the Taiwan Strait on Friday, with the country denouncing what it called collusion between Taiwan and the United States.

China claims the island as its own and has made it a pariah with other nations.

Taiwan’s defence ministry said 18 Chinese aircraft were involved in the drill, a far larger number than Taiwan has previously announced for such encounters.

“Sep. 18, two H-6 bombers, eight J-16 fighters, four J-10 fighters and four J-11 fighters crossed the midline of …

Iraq Summons US, UK Ambassadors Over Air Raids

Iraq Summons US, UK Ambassadors Over Air Raids

“The foreign minister held an emergency meeting in which the ministry’s undersecretaries, advisors and official spokesman discussed the measures regarding the recent American aggression. He has ordered the summoning of the United States and British ambassadors to Baghdad,” a spokesman said in a statement.

It came after Iraq’s military said at least one civilian and five security personnel were killed in the US raids, which it denounced as a violation of sovereignty and a

Boko Haram

Don’t Panic Over Boko Haram Threats – Military

The military has said there was no need for the current panic situation in the country over Boko Haram threats, insisting that it was tackling the security challenge with new measures.

Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen Olusegun Adeniyi at a press conference yesterday in Maiduguri said, Boko Haram’s recent  attacks on major highways in Borno were signs of the group’s move to remain relevant in the media having received military forces bombardments in most parts of the northeast where they previously held sway.

“There is nothing to panic about because the Nigerian military is taking measures to deal …

Military Sack Bayelsa Community Over Killing Of 4 Navy

Gunmen ambushed and killed four soldiers and a civilian in Nigeria’s oil-rich south, local sources said Wednesday, breaking months of uneasy calm after unrest over the distribution of the country’s oil revenues and forcing a military retaliation.

Armed men ambushed the military contingent in the Ekeremor waterways area of Bayelsa State as they returned from an assignment in the Letugbene community on Monday.

The gunmen, who outnumbered the soldiers, forced the servicemen to surrender, marched them to a creek, executed them and stole their weapons and military gear.

A civilian boat driver with the military detachment attempted to escape but …

Military Aircraft With UN Soldiers Onboard Crash Lands

South African military transport aircraft with UN peacekeeping soldiers on board on Thursday was severely damaged in a crash landing in Eastern Congo, a UN spokesman reported.

Matthias Gillman, a spokesman for the UN stabilisation mission in Congo (MONUSCO) confirmed the incident.

He said that the four-engine turboprop C-130 Hercules aircraft overshot the runway while landing in Goma and burst into flames.

However, the fire was quickly put out by firefighters at the airport and the 59 passengers and eight crew members escaped unharmed, NAN reports.

The passengers

At Least 28 Dead In Raid On Tripoli Military School

At least 28 people were killed and dozens injured on Saturday in an air strike on a military school in the Libyan capital Tripoli, a ministry spokesman said.

“An air raid on the military school of Tripoli killed 28 cadets and injured dozens more,” Amin al-Hashemi, spokesman for the health ministry of the Government of National Accord (GNA) said.

At the time of the strike the cadets were gathered on a parade ground before going to their dormitories, he added.

The military school is in al-Hadba al-Khadra, a residential sector of the Libyan capital.

The GNA health ministry called for …

₦10bn Suit: Ortom Gives Condition To Forgive Oshiomhole

Ortom Cries Out As Buhari Govt Withdraws Military

The Governor of Benue State, Dr Samuel Ortom, has cried out over Federal Government’s decision to withdraw the military from combatting insurgents and other internal uprisings.

The Federal Government, during the Security Council meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa on Monday, decided that the Nigeria Police Force will now take over from the military in the ongoing internal security operations in various parts of the country by the first quarter of next year.

The Council decided that the military will pull out from the ongoing internal security operations.

What Nigerian Military Should Have Done – Donald Duke

A former Governor of Cross River, Donald Duke, has blamed past military administrations for instituting the transfer of senior personnel to states they were not familiar with.

He said they should have allowed administrators to remain in the state in order to govern properly since they know the terrain.

NAN reports that Duke spoke on Friday at a lecture organised by the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star in Calabar, while insisting that local policing is the only way to ensure effective security in Nigeria.

He described policing as “a very local thing which requires a lot of intelligence and

Adesina Under Fire For Promoting Buhari’s Military Regime

Femi Fani-Kayode has condemned President Muhammadu Buhari’s spokesperson, Femi Adesina for saying Nigeria would have been better if the president’s military regime had lasted longer.

Fani-Kayode said Adesina has lost his mind for making such a remark.

In a tweet, the former Minister wrote: “Nigeria would have been better if Buhari’s military regime had lasted longer – @FemAdesina

“I guess you also believe that the world would have been a better place if Lucifer had triumphed in Heaven and if Hitler had won WW2.

“I say it again, Femi Adesina has lost his mind!”

Recall that Buhari led Nigeria as …

NZ Military Set For Risky Mission To Retrieve Bodies

New Zealand’s military will embark on a risky dawn mission to retrieve eight bodies from the still-active White Island volcano, officials said Thursday, as pressure from distraught victims’ families mounted.

Teams will move in “shortly after first light” on Friday, deputy police commissioner Mike Clement said, despite volcanologists warning that the chances of another significant eruption in the next 24 hours had risen to 50-60 percent.

“They will go on to the island and they will make every effort to recover all of the bodies” and transport them to military frigate HMNZS Wellington anchored off the coast, he said.

With …