election

Kenya’s Supreme Court To Rule On Disputed Presidential Poll

Kenya’s Supreme Court To Rule On Disputed Presidential Poll

Kenya’s Supreme Court will on Monday (today) whether to uphold or nullify the result of last month’s presidential election, a ruling that is anxiously awaited in the East African country that is scarred by previous bouts of poll-related violence.

The seven-member court are expected to rule following three days of oral arguments last week by lawyers representing the two main candidates and rival camps of election commissioners.

Opposition leader Raila Odinga, making his fifth presidential bid, says Deputy President William Ruto’s narrow win was the product of massive fraud. Four out of seven election commissioners disowned the result announced by …

Obi Is Not Seeking Foreign Funds, Labour Party Clarifies

Obi Is Not Seeking Foreign Funds, Labour Party Clarifies

The Labour Party, LP, has dismissed viral reports making the rounds on social media that its presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, was abroad to solicit foreign funding for his campaigns.

National Publicity Secretary of the Labour Party, Abayomi Oluwafemi, gave this clarification in an interview on Sunday.

He referred to the speculations that the party was equally seeking foreign funding for its activities as part of the antics of political opponents, who were very much intimidated by the rising profile of the Labour Party and its presidential candidate.

Oluwafemi said: ‘It is ridiculous that our political opponents have

2023 You Are Part Of The Old System, Sowore Attacks Obi

2023: You Are Part Of The Old System, Sowore Attacks Obi

Ahead of next year’s Presidential elections, the candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) African Action Congress, Omoyele Sowore, Omoyele Sowore yesterday attacked former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, saying that not the change Nigeria needs.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today which was monitored by Africa Daily News, New York Sowore said Mr. Obi was part of the old system that has crippled the nation’s fortunes.

Mr. Obi is also running for President in 2023 on the platform of the Labour Party.

Read Also: 2023: APC Presidential Aspirants Boycott Abuja Meeting

‘Peter Obi is part of the old …

Real Reason Why vote-Buying Will Continue – INEC, Others

Real Reason Why vote-Buying Will Continue – INEC, Others

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and other key stakeholders in the electoral process on Friday pointed out that weak punitive sanctions against perpetrators of vote-trading and increasing poverty have been responsible for frustrations in the fight against vote-buying and selling in Nigeria.

The stakeholders raised the concern during a policy dialogue with the theme,  ‘Addressing vote-trading in Nigeria from global comparative experiences’, organised by the Electoral Forum in collaboration with the Open Society Initiative for West Africa and MacArthur Foundation.

The Deputy Senate President of Nigeria, Ovie Omo-Agege, represented by his Chief of Staff, Otive Igbuzor at the event,

We Will Not Vote With Sentiments In 2023 — Northern Elders

We Won’t Vote Based On Sentiments In 2023 — Northern Elders

Ahead of the 2023 Presidential election, the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) has declared that the North will not support a candidate who seeks to benefit from strategies that exploit the ethnic and religious diversity of the region.

Speaking during a book launch in Kaduna, Chairman of the Northern Elders Forum, Professor Ango Abdullahi, enumerated the qualities expected of a candidate the North will support come 2023.

He said “the North will participate in all political and electoral activities as equals and with respect to other Nigerians who respect us. The North want leaders who will lead with integrity, competence, compassion …

2023 How APC Won Kwara Guber Election With Deceit – Saraki

2023: How APC Won Kwara Guber Election With Deceit – Saraki

Former president of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki has recalled how the All Progressives Congress (APC), which is currently in power in Kwara State, used the ‘O to ge’ campaign to depose the Peoples Democratic Party from the state by fraudulent means. 

He narrated that the campaign was rife with falsehoods and deception.

He pointed out that the approach was used to trick the state’s citizens in order to come out victorious in elections.

On Saturday, when he welcomed APC defectors in the state who had joined the PDP, Saraki gave a speech in the state capital of Ilorin.

The …

2023 We Won’t Disappoint You, INEC Assures Nigerians

2023: We Won’t Disappoint You, INEC Assures Nigerians

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has promised Nigerians that it would not lower the bar in the 2023 elections, in the light of its achievements in the off-season Ekiti and Osun governorship elections, and that it would be bold and courageous in prosecuting the elections.

A National Commissioner of INEC and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, made the promise in Abuja during a post-election roundtable and public presentation of the final report on the observation of 2022 Ekiti and Osun Governorship Election, organised by a human rights organisation, Yiaga Africa.

The commission also maintained …

Northerners Shouldn’t Dominate Top PDP Positions - BoT Chair

Northerners Shouldn’t Dominate Top PDP Positions – BoT Chair

Amidst the ongoing crisis in the opposition party, the Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s Board of Trustees has given reasons why that the party cannot allow its top positions to be dominated by Northerners.

Senator Walid Jibrin in an earlier statement had observed that the party’s presidential candidate, National Chairman and BoT Chairman were all Northerners.

In another statement on Tuesday, he said his stance has not changed despite criticism, noting that the PDP is a “national party that caters for all Nigerians.”

His comment comes amid continued rift between the party’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar and Rivers …

Kenya Odinga Vows To Challenge Ruto's Victory In Court

Kenya: Odinga Vows To Challenge Ruto’s Victory In Court

Kenya’s defeated presidential candidate Raila Odinga vowed Tuesday to pursue ‘all constitutional and legal options’ after rejecting the outcome of elections that awarded victory to his rival William Ruto.

The 77-year-old veteran politician branded the result of the August 9 race a ‘travesty’ but stopped short of explicitly announcing that he would mount a challenge at the Supreme Court.

‘What we saw yesterday (Monday) was a travesty and a blatant disregard of the consitution and the laws of Kenya,” he told a press conference in Nairobi, blaming the head of the commission that oversaw the poll.

‘I do not want

Call Your Supporters To Order, Police Warn Tinubu, Obi, Others

Call Your Supporters To Order, Police Warn Tinubu, Obi, Others

The Nigeria Police Force has sent a serious warning to all politicians in the race for the Presidency of Nigeria to eschew violence and caution their supporters against sending threats to voices of dissent and people not supporting them in the run-up to the poll.

According to the police, any threat to life is a criminal offence, while also adding that the Electoral Act as amended is also clear on the appropriate punishment prescribed for election-related crimes.

The Force spokesperson, Olumuyiwa Adejobi made this known in an interview with reporters against the backdrop of online bullying and violent social media …

Consumption To Production Peter Obi Breaks Down His Plans

Consumption To Production: Peter Obi Breaks Down His Plans

Mr. Peter Obi, the presidential candidate for the Labour Party, on Thursday declared in Abuja that his party would revolutionise Nigeria’s economy from one centered around consumption to one based on production. At the Conference Held for his Coalition, Obi made the statement.
He continued by promising to establish an unbiased nation where residents will take pleasure in their patriotism.
We have a country called Nigeria, but we don’t have Nigerians.’
‘What we want to do is to create Nigerians and the only way to create Nigerians is to make people to have hope in Nigeria.’
‘Nigeria is
2023 No Plans To Cancel Elections - Defence Chief, Irabor

2023: No Plans To Cancel Elections – Defence Chief, Irabor

In the face of worsening insecurity, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor has once again assured Nigerians that the 2023 general elections will hold insisting that there are no plans to cancel the poll.

Africa Daily News, New York reports that in recent times, there have been serious concerns by Nigerians as to whether the elections will be conducted by the country’s electoral umpire – Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) across the country given the fact that terrorists and bandits appear to be having a field day despite repeated assurances by the Federal Government to tackle insecurity.

However, …