death

Trump confirms death of Osama bin Laden’s son Hamza

Trump confirms death of Osama bin Laden’s son Hamza

US President Donald Trump on Saturday confirmed that Hamza bin Laden, the son and designated heir of Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden, was killed in a counter-terrorism operation along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

US media reported in late July and early August, citing intelligence officials, that the younger Bin Laden had been killed sometime in the last two years in an operation that involved the United States.

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper confirmed the death last month, saying it was “his understanding” that Bin Laden was dead, but Trump and other senior officials had not publicly confirmed the news.

“Hamza bin …

Breaking: Kanu moves to further prove the death of Buhari

Breaking: Kanu moves further to prove the death of Buhari

Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has decided to further prove to Nigerians and the rest of the world who might still be in doubt about the demise of President Muhammadu Buhari, and how the the person supposedly ruling the affairs of the country is nothing but an impostor. He would be making a broadcast today at 7 pm Biafran time for the proof.

Kanu who had in the past with pictorial evidence proven countless times that the man seen currently as Nigeria’s president was no other but a double body impersonating the late …

Ebola: Death toll in DRC increases to 1,540 – WHO

The death toll in the latest outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has risen to 1,540, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).

In an update on Friday, the world health body said 2,284 people had been infected since the outbreak in the country’s Ituri and North Kivu provinces nearly 11 months ago.

However, vital work of tracing people infected with the deadly virus is progressing, in spite of evidence of “several” massacres in the affected area earlier this month, the organisation said.

In spite of the insecurity, WHO insisted that frontline workers were doing all …

Tragedy! 19 passengers burnt to death in Ondo accident

Tragedy! 19 passengers burnt to death in Ondo accident

Tragedy struck, yesterday, along Akure/Owo Expressway in Ondo State, as no fewer than 19 persons died in a fatal road accident that involved two vehicles. They were burnt beyond recognition.

The Guardian learnt a truck, while trying to dodge a pothole, rammed into an 18-seater bus going from Lagos to the North with number plate: YLA 25 XU.  The accident occurred at the Oba-Ile area, in Akure North Local Council, which is known for several failed portions.  A witness said the head-on collision ignited fire, which affected two other vehicles.

Read Also: Fire ruins BRT bus in Lagos

While describing …

Court condemns Houseboy to death for killing boss

Court condemns Houseboy to death for killing boss

A Lagos High Court in Igbosere yesterday sentenced a 25-year-old houseboy, Leudjou Koyemen Joel (aka William Smith) to death by hanging for killing his employer.

He murdered  Dayo Enioluwa Adeleke, the daughter of the late Brig.-Gen. Adekola Alfred Adeleke, on December 20, 2016.

Justice Adedayo Akintoye convicted Joel, after a nearly two-year trial which followed his not guilty plea to a one-count charge of murder.

The defendant, a refugee from Cameroon, had testified that Adeleke mistakenly stabbed herself after she fell while pursuing him with a kitchen knife.

Justice Akintoye held: “All the evidence points to the defendant. I find …

Tiger Woods misses the cut at PGA, Koepka sets tour record

Tiger Woods sued over death of drunk bartender

Tiger Woods has been sued by parents of a bartender at his Florida restaurant who died in a drink driving accident after allegedly being over-served alcohol.

TMZ reported that the parents of Nicholas Immesberger, who died last December at age 24, filed the lawsuit saying their son had worked as a bartender at The Woods in Jupiter, Florida, and knew the golf star personally.

The news broke hours after Woods played his opening practice round for the 101st PGA Championship, the year’s second major golf tournament which starts Thursday at Bethpage Black on Long Island in New York.

Woods snapped …

Court grants Iwu ₦1billion bail, still in prison custody

Man faces jail sentence for beating wife to death over sex

An Ebute Meta Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State on Friday remanded 31-year-old Godspower Johnson accused of beating his wife to death during a fight over sex.

Chief Magistrate O.O. Olatunji, ordered that Godspower should be kept at the Ikoyi Prison, Lagos, for the next 30 days pending  advice from the state Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) on the case.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. Oladele Adebayo, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on March 21, at 5:30p.m., at No. 28, Adekoye St., Igbo-Elerin, Ishashi.

Read Also: Carpenter sets neighbour’s car ablaze over denial of sex

He alleged …

Xenophobia: Two Nigerians stabbed to death in South Africa

The death toll of Nigerians killed in South Africa has continued to rise with another two being the latest victims in ongoing xenophobic attacks on foreigners in that country.

It was learnt that the latest victims – Bonny Iwuoha and Goziem Akpenyi – were stabbed to death during xenophobic attacks in Johannesburg and Cape Town on April 5 and April 6.

The Assistant Public Relations Officer, Nigeria Union in South Africa (NUSA), Odefa Ikele, confirmed the killings in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) from Johannesburg on Monday.

Ikele said: “The Nigerian community lost two citizens …

Rapper Nipsey Hussle’s death: Rihanna, Snoop Dogg react

Nipsey Hussle, Grammy-nominated rapper was shot dead in the US city of Los Angeles Sunday, sparking an outpouring of grief from fellow celebrities, such as Rihanna, Drake and Snoop Dogg.

The city’s mayor blamed “senseless gun violence.”

According to local media reports, Hussle was shot in front of his clothing store Sunday afternoon at close range, by a man who fled in a getaway car.

“Our hearts are with the loved ones of Nipsey Hussle and everyone touched by this awful tragedy,” LA Mayor Eric Garcetti tweeted.

A police spokesman said the suspected shooter remained at large.

“L.A. is hurt …

How Nigerian Imam escaped death in New Zealand mosque havoc

THE Imam of one of the Christchurch, New Zealand mosques attacked by a terrorist on Friday is a Nigerian, The Nation can report today.

Lateef Alabi who is the Linwood mosque’s acting Imam was leading the congregation in prayers on the fateful day when terrorist Brenton Tarrant struck.

Alabi said the death toll would have been far higher at the mosque but for a worshipper, Abdul Aziz, 48, who  grabbed Tarrant’s gun and forced him away from a mosque.

Aziz’s action terminated the killing spree.

Alabi said he heard a voice outside the mosque at about 1.55pm and stopped the …

Death toll now 20 in Lagos building collapse

Twenty people have been confirmed dead in the collapse of a building housing a nursery and primary school in Nigeria’s biggest city, Lagos, the authorities said on Friday.
The dilapidated building in the densely populated Lagos Island area of the city came down without warning on Wednesday morning.

Rescue workers called off the search for survivors on Thursday, with the death toll at nine and the number of injured who were taken to hospital at 37.

But Lagos State health commissioner Jide Idris said the final toll was now higher.

“Twenty people were killed and 45 people were treated in

44 passengers escape death as bus catches fire

No fewer than 44 passengers escaped unhurt on Monday as a red high capacity bus marked GBE 257 XA caught fire on Otedola Bridge in Lagos.

The cause of the fire that occurred around 11:22am, could not be ascertained.

Read More