court

US Opposition Pushes Trade Court To Brink Of Collapse

The World Trade Organization’s capacity to settle international disputes, a core function throughout the body’s 25-year history, is on the brink of collapse following relentless US opposition.

The appellate branch of the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body (DSB), sometimes dubbed the supreme court of world trade, was a target of US criticism before President Donald Trump took office.

His predecessor Barack Obama’s administration began a policy of blocking the appointment of appeals judges over concerns that their rulings violated American interests.

Trump’s trade team has both extended that policy and escalated the fight.

Barring a shock breakthrough in the coming …

Ihedioha

Ihedioha’s Opponents Not Achieving Anything At Court

Last time you said that you have regretted supporting the emergence of President Muhammadu Buhari given the fact that he has failed on your expectations. Do you still hold the regret?

Well, it has continued to be so like what made me to regret. I believe that a victim of what is wrong should be the first solution if that person has the opportunity of solving the problem. Unfortunately, the president who suffered greatly from the negative system in the country when I was working with him has allowed the thing to continue.

 

So, are you saying that

Double Registration: Court Decides Bello’s Fate Jan. 20

Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja, will on January 20, 2020, decide the culpability or otherwise of Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, in an alleged double registration suit.

Justice Ekwo fixed the date to deliver his judgment in the suit filed by a governorship candidate in the recent governorship election in Kogi State shortly after parties in the matter adopted their briefs of argument.

The Social Democratic Party governorship candidate, Natasha Apoti had dragged Bello to court over alleged double registration, an act said to be offensive to the electoral laws.

Apoti, through her counsel, Mike …

Kalu

Mixed Reactions As Court Jails Orji Uzor Kalu 12 Years

• Abia residents lament forfeiture of assets to FG

Reactions poured in yesterday in the wake of the 12-year jail term bagged by a former Abia State governor Orji Uzor Kalu for fraud. For the Buhari Media Organisation (BMO), the conviction was proof of President Muhammadu Buhari’s sincerity in fighting corruption, even as some residents in the state described the forfeiture of assets to the Federal Government as unfair.

In a statement signed by its Chairman Niyi Akinsiju and Secretary Cassidy Madueke, BMO said the conviction of a high ranking APC chieftain proves that the courts are independent in this

Soyinka: Disobedience To Court Order Is Thuggery

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has excoriated the Buhari administration for its serial disobedience to court orders, which he likened to thuggery.

Soyinka, in a statement obtained by THISDAY wednesday, also lampooned the Department of State Services (DSS) for its continued refusal to release rights activist and Coordinator of #RevolutionNow, Mr. Omoyele Sowore, despite being granted bail by the Federal High Court, sitting in Abuja.

He dismissed as “childish pretext” the excuses DSS had been proffering to keep Sowore in detention.
The laureate said he could not keep quiet and watch the degradation of the judiciary in which he had …

Court Saves 21 States Billions, AGF To Recover Govs Pension

  • Akpabio, Amaechi, Shettima, Goje, 10 others affected
  • Fashola, Sylva, Aregbesola yet to draw benefits

 

For 21 states with pension laws stipulating post-office benefits running into billions of naira for their former governors and deputies, it was a sigh of relief wednesday as the Federal High Court, sitting in Lagos ordered the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, to recover all funds paid as pension to erstwhile state chief executives, who are also serving in the National Assembly or as ministers.

The court, presided over by Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo, while delivering judgment in a …

Zuma

South Africa Court Rejects Zuma Appeal To Prevent Trial

A South African court on Friday rejected an appeal by former President Jacob Zuma that sought to prevent his prosecution on corruption charges over a 2 billion dollars arms deal.

The ruling paves the way for Zuma’s long-awaited trial to start in Feb. 2020.

Zuma, in office from 2009 to 2018, had previously applied for a permanent stay of prosecution on 18 charges of fraud, racketeering and money laundering relating to an arms deal with French defense firm Thales in the 1990s.

In mid-October, the Pietermaritzburg High Court dismissed an application by Zuma and Thales for a permanent stay of

2Face And Blackface To Settle Feuds Out-Of-Court Settlement

In a recent development, the Plantashun Boyz members, 2Face Idibia also known as 2Baba and Blackface have opted for an out-of-court settlement for their ongoing feud.

Both artistes agreed to sheath their respective swords after they signed an undisclosed settlement agreement at the Ikeja High Court, Lagos on Wednesday, November 27.

According to reports. the gentleman agreement also saw the African Queen crooner dropped the N50m defamation suit filed against Blackface.

A source close to both singers stated that Blackface agreed not to publicly call out 2Face while the latter agreed to work out an agreement that will enable the …

FG Places $200m Bank Guarantee With UK Court In P&ID Row

Nigeria has given a bank guarantee of $200 million to the United Kingdom Commercial Court hearing its dispute with a British Virgin Islands-based engineering firm, Process and Industrial Development Limited (P&ID), over a botched Gas Supply and Processing Agreement (GSPA), which the federal government believed was fraudulently procured.

But P&ID has denied any wrongdoing in the agreement it entered into with the federal government to process wet gas for the generation of electricity for the country.

In what is clearly a positive step forward for Nigeria, the United Kingdom Commercial Court presided over by Justice Butcher yesterday accepted the …

Court Says White House Must Comply With Impeachment

Donald Trump’s top aides must comply with subpoenas to appear in the impeachment investigation against the president, a US appeals court judge ruled.

In a case involving former White House counsel Don McGahn, who was subpoenaed in May by the House Judiciary Committee, judge Ketanji Jackson ruled Monday that administration officials cannot claim absolute immunity from testifying based on their closeness to the US leader.

While Jackson ruled specifically on McGahn’s case, she said it had broad application to all current and former presidential aides.

“Presidents are not kings,” Jackson wrote

Court Grants Maina ₦1 Billion Bail

Abdulrasheed Abdullahi Maina, former Chairman of Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT) on Monday was granted a tough bail condition of ₦1 billion.

He was granted bail by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.

Asides the N1 billion bail, Maina is to provide two sureties in like sum. Both sureties must be serving Nigerian Senators with no criminal cases before the court.

Maina is facing trial on alleged money laundering charge to the tune of over N2 billion preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

Read Also: Release Our Son Now, Sowore’s Family Tells DSS

 …

Now That The Appeal Court Has Affirmed Ganduje’s Victory

When on Friday, November 22, the Court of Appeal sitting in Kaduna affirmed the verdict of Kano state governorship election Tribunal which on October 2, validated the re-election of Kano state Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, the news did not come to many as a surprise. In fact, before I set out for Kaduna to witness the verdict, I was fully convinced that victory would come our way, having witnessed all the Tribunal proceedings in Kano as well as the meticulous manner which the chairperson of the Tribunal, Justice Halima Shamaki and her team delivered justice.

In the article …