court

South African court acquits Zuma’s son over car crash

South African court acquits Zuma’s son over car crash

South African court on Friday acquitted Duduzane Zuma, the son of former president Jacob Zuma, of manslaughter charges over a fatal late-night car crash in 2014.

Duduzane, 35, had pleaded not guilty at a magistrates’ court in Johannesburg to causing the death of Phumzile Dube after his Porsche hit a minibus.

One woman died in the crash, three others were injured and another passenger died in hospital weeks later.

Magistrate Tebogo Thupaatlase said the state had failed to prove the manslaughter charges beyond a reasonable doubt.

“The accused is found not guilty,” he said.

“None of the evidence presented …

Court orders forfeiture of another Diezani's property

Court orders forfeiture of another Diezani’s property

The Federal High Court, Lagos yesterday ordered that a plot of land in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, allegedly belonging to a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, be forfeited to the Federal Government.

Justice Chuka Obiozor made the forfeiture order following an application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The anti-graft agency had told the judge that the land, measuring 7,903.71 to 8,029.585 square metres and designated as Plot 9, Azikiwe Road, Old GRA (UAC Property on Forces Avenue), Port Harcourt, was reasonably suspected to part of proceeds of unlawful activities.

Read Also: Court orders forfeiture

Court grants El-Zakzaky leave for medical attention abroad

Court jails man for one year for sharing pornographic image

For sharing pornographic and indecent images, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibadan zonal office, on Friday, secured the conviction of one Ismail Yunus.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Ibadan Division, found Yunus guilty of sending the indecent pictures through the e-mail: lindasc147@gmail.com, to defraud people and getting involved in other internet-related fraud.

The offense is contrary to Section 24 (1) (a) and punishable under Section 24 (1) (b) of the Cyber Crimes (Prohibition, Prevention Etc) Act, 2015.

Read Also: Censors Board caution youths against pornography

The defendant had earlier pleaded guilty to the one-count amended charge, …

Court orders forfeiture of Diezani’s $40m worth of jewelry

Court orders forfeiture of Diezani’s $40m worth of jewelry

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday ordered the temporary forfeiture of 2,149 pieces of jewelry and a customised gold iPhone, seized from Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, to the Federal Government.

The items, valued at $40million (about N14.4b), were recovered from the home of the former Minister of Petroleum Resources.

Justice Nicholas Oweibo ordered their temporary forfeiture as prayed for by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The commission, in an ex-parte application moved by Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, said the items were suspected to have been acquired with illicitly acquired funds.

Mrs. Alison-Madueke is the defendant in the application …

Court to hear demolition suit against UNILAG on Sept. 30

Court to hear demolition suit against UNILAG on Sept. 30

Federal High Court in Lagos has fixed September 30, for hearing in a suit against the University of Lagos, (UNILAG) and two others, over the alleged wrongful seizure of property and rights’ infringement.

The applicant in the suit before Justice Mohammed Liman, is Mr Emmanuel Ofoegbu, a Lagos-based lawyer.

Joined as respondents are; Dr Yemi Oke, UNILAG, and one Mr Oluwafemi Adetiba.

The applicant filed the suit through his counsel Ogedi Ogu, claiming the sum of N50 million against respondents, as compensation for alleged forceful seizure of property of his law office at 366, Murtala Mohammed Way, Yaba.

The applicant …

Court orders final forfeiture of Jonathan’s ₦9.2bn, $8.4m

Court orders final forfeiture of Jonathan’s ₦9.2bn, $8.4m

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos Monday ordered the permanent forfeiture of the sums of ₦9.2 billion and $8.4 million recovered from first lady Patience Jonathan to the Federal Government.

The judgment delivered by Justice Mojisola Olatoregun followed a lawsuit filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

Read Also: Patience Jonathan’s $5.7m, ₦2.4bn: EFCC seeks forfeiture

The anti-graft agency alleged that the funds were proceeds of crime.

Patience, through her lawyers, Chief Ifedayo Adedipe (SAN) and Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), opposed the application and insisted that the funds were legitimately earned.

However, Justice Olatoregun held that the EFCC …

MFM secures another victory in American court

MFM secures another victory in American court

An American Court has awarded punitive damages against breakaway pastors of the Bowie branch of Mountain of Fire and Miracles (MFM) in Maryland, United States, for breach of trust and illegally hijacking the branch and its assets in 2017.

The judgment followed an action filed in 2018 before the Circuit Court for Prince George’s County in Maryland, USA, with suit number CAL16-26532 by the MFM International, seeking damages against former resident pastor and 11 other members for converting the church property to their personal use.

The court, in its ruling, ordered the pastor and his co-defendants to pay the …

My wife pushed me into adultery, man tells court

My wife pushed me into adultery, man tells court

“My wife pushed me into adultery,’’ Mr Bello Abudu, a 42-year-old technician, told an Igando Customary Court in Lagos on Thursday.

Abudu, whose wife, Blessing, sought the dissolution of their marriage, accusing him of infidelity, told the court while responding to the allegation that his wife pushed him into adultery

“My wife always tells me that I cannot impregnate another woman and that if I try to make love with another woman, my male organ will get stuck inside that woman, that she had done something concerning my male organ.

“I was afraid initially, but later I decided to try …

Court stops Ganduje, agency’s action against Emir Sanusi

Court stops Ganduje, agency’s action against Emir Sanusi

A Federal High Court sitting in Kano on Tuesday granted an order restraining Kano State Governor, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje and the State Public Complaints and Anti Corruption Commission from acting on the preliminary report on alleged misappropriation of N3.4 billion by the Kano Emirate Council.

The order followed a suit filed on June 7, by Muhammad Mannir-Sanusi, Dan Buran Kano, seeking an order to restrain Ganduje, the Commission and the state Attorney General or their agents from acting on the preliminary report of the investigation.

Read Also: ₦3.4billion: Sanusi denies allegation by Kano State Govt.

Justice Obiara A. Egwuatu, issued …

Breaking: Army court-martial 14 soldiers in Port Harcourt

Breaking: Army court-martial 14 soldiers in Port Harcourt

The 6 Division, Nigerian Army, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, this morning court-martialed 14 soldiers, consisting of three officers and eleven men, for kidnapping, murder, attempted murder and other offences.

The General Officer Commanding (GOC) 6 Division, Maj.-Gen. Jamil Sarham, who is also the Land Component Commander of Operation Delta Safe, while inaugurating the General Court Martial, declared that the army would not condone indiscipline.

Read Also: Wike blasts Amaechi for defending the Nigerian Army

President of the court martial, Brig.-Gen. Bassey Etuk, in his remarks, assured that he and six other members of the panel would do justice and they …

Botswana High Court decriminalises homosexuality

Botswana High Court decriminalises homosexuality

Botswana’s High Court, in a highly-anticipated verdict, on Tuesday ruled in favour of decriminalising homosexuality, which is outlawed under the country’s 1965 penal code.

Judge Michael Elburu “set aside” the “provisions of a Victorian-era” and ordered the laws be amended.

In a courtroom packed with activists, the judge emphasised that the current laws oppressed a minority of the population.

“There’s nothing reasonable in discriminating,” he said.

“We say the time has come that private, same sexuality must be decriminalized.”

“It is a variety of human sexuality,” he said.

Read Also: Gay Rights: Botswana to rule on scrapping anti-gay laws

The …

Breaking: Court grants Naira Marley ₦2m bail

Breaking: Court grants Naira Marley ₦2m bail

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Thursday granted a musician, Azeez Fashola (a.k.a Naira Marley), bail for N2millon with two sureties in like sum.

Justice Nicholas Oweibo ruled that one of the sureties must be on Grade Level 10 in the Federal or state employment.

The other surety must have a landed property within the court’s jurisdiction.

The judge directed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to verify the bail terms.

Justice Oweibo adjourned until October 22 for trial.

EFCC arraigned Naira Marley for alleged credit card fraud.

He was charged with 11 counts of violating the Cyber …