Burkina Faso

11 Killed Following Terror Attack In Burkina Faso - Army

11 Killed Following Terror Attack In Burkina Faso – Army

No fewer than seven soldiers and four back-up troops have been killed in two ambushes in Burkina Faso’s troubled north, the army have revealed.

The first attack near the town of Solle on Thursday led to the deaths of two soldiers and four civilian volunteers helping the army while five paramilitary troops perished in another raid the same day at Ouanobe, the army said in a statement received Friday.

The ambushes were staged by “terrorists,” according to the army, using a term to signify jihadist groups active in Burkina Faso’s north.

Nine people were wounded, it said, adding that the …

13 Gendarmes Murdered In Northern Burkina Faso

13 Gendarmes Murdered In Northern Burkina Faso

Gunmen killed no fewer than 13 Gendarmes in an ambush yesterday at Taparko, a mining town in Burkina Faso, Africa Daily News, New York has learnt. 

A security source who spoke to newsmen said; ‘a team from the gendarmerie at Dori fell into an ambush set by armed individuals this afternoon near Taparko’.

‘As well as the 13 confirmed dead, a number of other gendarmes were missing’, the source added.

Another security source who preferred to remain anonymous stated that reinforcements had been called in and were searching the sector for eight missing gendarmes.

An additional eight gendarmes …

Senegal Beat Burkina Faso To Cruise Into AFCON Final

Senegal Beat Burkina Faso To Cruise Into AFCON Final

The Senegalese national team are through to a second consecutive Africa Cup of Nations final after breaking Burkina Faso hearts in their last-four tie in Yaounde yesterday, after Abdou Diallo, Idrissa Gana Gueye, and Sadio Mane scored second-half goals to secure a 3-1 victory.

Aliou Cisse’s team had two penalties awarded in the first half only for the Ethiopian referee to change his mind both times following a VAR review.

However, they went ahead just after the midway point in the second period when Paris Saint-Germain defender Diallo popped up in the box to produce a striker’s finish.

Read Also:

Burkina Faso Army Destroys Militants' Base

Burkina Faso Army Destroys Militants’ Base

The army in Burkina Faso has disclosed that its soldiers yesterday destroyed a ‘terrorist base’ and killed dozens of militants in an operation north of the country.

Africa Daily News, New York gathered that the offensive in the forests of Toulfé and Tougbrebouli took place during the week of July 12 to 18.

Read Also: Niger, Burkina Faso Hail Joint Operation Against Jihadists

Three soldiers died and eight others were wounded during the counter-terrorism operation, according to the weekly report on security operations published by the army.

Armaments, ammunition, and camp equipment were recovered.

In the same week, the national …

Taraba Varsity Students, Non-Academic Staff Protest Poor Welfare

Thousands Protest Rising Bloodshed In Burkina Faso

Thousands of people took to the streets of Burkina Faso yesterday in protest, demanding a stronger response to rising jihadist bloodshed after a massacre last month killed more than 130 people.

Africa Daily News, New York gathered that the landlocked West African country has faced increasing attacks by jihadist groups linked Al-Qaeda or the Islamic State since 2015.

In the capital Ouagadougou, protesters chanted ‘No to growing insecurity’, ‘No to populations being abandoned’, ‘No to endless attacks’, and ‘Is there still a president in Burkina Faso?

It was the first march organised by the opposition and …

10 Officers Killed, 4 Missing From Ambush In Burkina Faso

10 Officers Killed, 4 Missing From Ambush In Burkina Faso

No fewer than 11 Burkina Faso police officers were killed while 4 are still missing after their unit was ambushed yesterday by yet to be identified gunmen, the country’s security minister has revealed.

Africa Daily News, New York gathered that the ambush occurred while the unit was on a relief mission to the town of Yirgou, which has been hit by recent violence, Security Minister Ousseini Compaore said in a statement.

‘Joint search operations with the army have been under way since yesterday,’ Compaore revealed.

Attacks by militants linked to al …

Thousands Displaced In Burkina Faso Following Massacre

Thousands Displaced In Burkina Faso Following Massacre

Burkina Faso has stated that more than 7,000 people had fled the country’s volatile north following the bloodiest massacre in a six-year-old jihadist insurgency.

On a visit to the area, Prime Minister Christophe Dabire vowed that those behind the attack ‘will not go unpunished ‘ noting that Steps have already been taken to give (displaced people) a minimum level of comfort, lodgings, and food’.

While Dabire initially said that ‘more than 7,000 families have moved to Sebba’, the capital of Yagha province around 15 kilometres (10 miles) from the scene of the attack in Solhan village, his advisers later told …

Couple Seized In Burkina Faso Two Years Ago Found In Mali

Couple Seized In Burkina Faso Two Years Ago Found In Mali

A Canadian woman and her Italian partner kidnapped in Burkina Faso in 2018 have been found in good health in the northwest of Mali after fleeing their captors and were set to be repatriated, diplomatic and UN sources said on Saturday.

Tedith Blais and Luca Tacchetto, both in their thirties, managed to escape near the northern city of Kidal on Friday and were taken to the local base of the UN mission in Mali, known by its French acronym MINUSMA.

The pair were then flown out on Saturday afternoon on a special plane to Mali’s capital Bamako.

They appeared …

ECOWAS Sets Up Committee On Nigeria’s Border Closure

The Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government has constituted a committee, headed by President Roch Marc Christian Kabore of Burkina Faso, to study and make a full report on Nigeria’s land border closure with her neighbours.

The decision to set up the committee was agreed Sunday night in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, at an extraordinary session of ECOWAS leaders convened on the margins of the 33rd AU Summit to discuss the issue and other pressing regional matters.

Nigeria’s Foreign Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, told journalists after the three-hour closed door session that the meeting attended by President Buhari and chaired …