afghanistan:

Over 920 Confirmed Dead In Afghanistan Earthquake

Over 920 Confirmed Dead In Afghanistan Earthquake

Officials said that a strong earthquake slammed a remote border region of Afghanistan overnight, killing at least 920 people and injuring hundreds more. As rescuers search amid collapsed homes, the death toll is anticipated to grow.

Africa Daily News, New Yorrk gathered that the 5.9 magnitude earthquake was most severe in the arid east, where residents already lead precarious lives in a nation gripped by a humanitarian catastrophe made worse by the Taliban takeover in August.

The country’s supreme leader, Hibatullah Akhundzada, predicted that the death toll would probably continue to grow as reports of victims came in from remote …

At Least 12 Killed In Bomb Explosions In Afghanistan

At Least 12 Killed In Bomb Explosions In Afghanistan

About four bomb explosions ripped through minibuses and a mosque in Afghanistan yesterday, killing no fewer than 12 people, officials have confirmed.

Africa Daily News, New York reports that the number of bomb attacks have dropped across the country since the Taliban seized power last year in August, but several deadly bombings had rocked the country during the holy month of Ramadan.

However, on Wednesday, at least 10 people were killed when three bombs placed on board separate minibuses exploded in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif, a health official and police disclosed.

‘The bombs were placed on three minibuses in …

World Bank To Release Over $1bn Aid To Afghanistan

World Bank To Release Over $1bn Aid To Afghanistan

The World Bank has announced that it has earmarked over $1 billion in humanitarian aid for Afghanistan, stating the money will go to UN agencies and international NGOs while remaining ‘outside the control’ of the country’s Taliban rulers.

Africa Daily News, New York reports that the reallocation from the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF) follows the $280 million in ARTF funds disbursed last December and is aimed at supporting the humanitarian response over the critical winter months.

The funds, to be delivered in the form of grants, aim ‘to support the delivery of essential basic services, protect vulnerable Afghans, help …

Western Union, MoneyGram Restart Transactions With Afghan

Western Union, MoneyGram Restart Transactions With Afghans

Things appear to be gradually shaping up in Afghanistan as Western Union and MoneyGram have announced that they would resume money transfer services to Afghanistan, allowing vital remittances into a country that faces huge economic hurdles following the Taliban’s takeover last month.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, a spokesperson stated that; ‘Western Union is pleased to share that it is resuming its money transfer services into Afghanistan, starting September 2, so that our customers can once again send money and support their loved ones at this time’.

‘We understand the urgent needs of our customers and their families and are

US Pullout From Afghanistan At Least 13% Complete - Pentagon

US Pullout From Afghanistan At Least 13% Complete – Pentagon

The US withdrawal from Afghanistan is between 13 percent and 20 percent complete, the Pentagon’s Central Command said Tuesday, as it pushes to beat a September deadline for the pullout.

CentCom said that since President Joe Biden ordered the exit in April, it had removed the equivalent of 115 fully loaded C-17 cargo aircraft worth of material from the country while consigning more than 5,000 pieces of equipment to a Pentagon agency for destruction.

CentCom has also turned over five facilities to the Afghan Defense Ministry, including Kandahar Airfield in southern Afghanistan, once the second-largest military base in the country …

US Troops Pullout From Afghanistan Ahead Of Schedule

US Troops Pullout From Afghanistan Ahead Of Schedule

The US military withdrawal from Afghanistan is considerably ahead of schedule, an official told AFP on Wednesday, as President Donald Trump reiterated calls for the Pentagon to bring troops home.

The developments came as questions loomed over the next phase of Afghanistan’s long war following a historic, three-day ceasefire that led to a major drop in civilian casualties.

The truce, which the Taliban called to mark the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Fitr, ended Tuesday night, leaving Afghans anxious about whether it would be extended, or when the war might come raging back.

Violence levels remained low even after the end …

NATO Withholds Key Information On Taliban Attacks

NATO Withholds Key Information On Taliban Attacks

The report released on Friday by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction or SIGAR said US forces have classified all casualty information from Afghan national defence and security forces for the first quarter of 2020.

John F Sopko, who heads the watchdog, wrote that data on the Taliban and other rebel attacks “was one of the last remaining metrics

US Conducts First Air Strike On Taliban Hours After Deal

US Conducts First Air Strike On Taliban Hours After Deal

The US military has conducted an air strike against Taliban fighters in Afghanistan, just hours after President Donald Trump said he had had a “very good talk” with a leader of the group.

The US signed a deal with the Taliban on Saturday aimed at bringing peace to Afghanistan after years of war.

But a US forces spokesman said it launched an air strike on Wednesday in response to Taliban fighters attacking Afghan forces in Helmand province.

The Taliban has not commented.

It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties.

What did the US say?

Wednesday’s strike was …

Afghanistan Reacts To Death Of Citizens In Plane Crash

Afghanistan has reacted to the death of 176 people after Ukrainian Boeing-737 crashed near an airport in the capital, Tehran, on Wednesday.

The crash happened at a time when Iran was threatening to go to war with the United States, US, over the killing of General Qasem Soleimani.

Read Also: France Reacts As Iran Attacks US Bases

Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs has said that ten of its nationals were among the victims of the crashed Ukrainian passenger jet.

“We are saddened to learn that 10 Afghan nationals have lost their lives in a plane crash in Tehran this morning,” …

Taliban Release Two Western Hostages In Afghanistan

The Taliban handed two Western hostages over to US forces in southern Afghanistan Tuesday, three years after they were abducted, in a swap for three high-ranking insurgent prisoners that could boost peace talks.

The exchange of American Kevin King and Australian Timothy Weeks for the militants — including Anas Haqqani, brother to the Taliban’s deputy leader — was welcomed by both the United States and the insurgents.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the releases “give us hope for the success of intra-Afghan peace negotiations, which the United States stands ready to support.”

Read Also: Chile’s President Condemns Police

Nine Children Killed In Afghanistan Landmine Blast

Nine Children Killed In Afghanistan Landmine Blast

Nine children were killed when a planted roadside bomb exploded as they walked to school in a northeastern province of Afghanistan, government and police officials said.

The blast happened in Darqad district of Takhar province on Saturday, when the children, aged between eight and 11, stepped on the bomb planted on a road in a Taliban-controlled village.

“In the morning on roadside, nine children were killed in a landmine blast placed by the Taliban. Three children, who were part of the group, are missing,” Jawad Hejri, a spokesman for the Takhar provincial governor, told Al Jazeera.

No group has claimed

Afghanistan: Car bomb targeted at US convoy goes off

Afghanistan: Car bomb targeted at US convoy goes off

A car bomb attack on a U.S. convoy in the Afghan capital on Friday, wounded four U.S. service members and killed at least four Afghan civilians, officials said, in the second attack in the city in two days.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast, which came a day after the Islamic State militant group claimed a suicide attack outside a military training academy that killed at least six people.

A spokesman for U.S. Forces in Afghanistan confirmed that a car bomb hit a U.S. convoy and four service members had suffered minor injuries in the explosion but gave no …