JAKARTA — Indonesia has clarified tha any deployment of its military personnel to Gaza would be strictly humanitarian and not involve combat operations, as the country prepares to contribute up to 8,000 troops to a United Nations-authorized peacekeeping force by mid-2026.
The Indonesian government is organizing its forces for possible participation in the Gaza International Stabilisation Force (ISF), a multinational contingent outlined in the Gaza peace plan and authorized under a UN Security Council resolution adopted in November 2025.
The resolution empowers the U.S.-led Board of Peace and associated nations to establish the ISF to maintain stability in the Gaza Strip.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said that Indonesia’s mandate would focus on protecting civilians, providing medical and humanitarian aid, supporting reconstruction efforts, and assisting in training and capacity-building for the Palestinian police.
“Indonesian troops will not be involved in combat operations or any action leading to direct confrontation with any armed group,” the ministry said, according to The Jakarta Post.
The ministry emphasized that Indonesia could withdraw its forces if the ISF’s activities deviated from the agreed humanitarian mandate and noted that any deployment would require the consent of the Palestinian Authority.
Additional stipulations reported by Indonesian news outlet Tempo specify that the use of force by Indonesian personnel would be limited to self-defence and strictly in service of maintaining the mission’s mandate, with lethal force as a last resort.
Read Also: Grok Ban In Indonesia Lifted After X Gives Assurances
The statement reiterated Indonesia’s longstanding support for Palestinian independence under a two-state solution.
It also reaffirmed opposition to any demographic changes or forced displacement of Palestinians. “Indonesia’s participation is based on the principle of respect for the preservation of Palestine and the right to self-determination of the Palestinian people,” the ministry said, according to Tempo.
Military authorities indicated that initial preparations are underway. The Indonesian Army headquarters said on Sunday that approximately 1,000 troops are expected to be ready for potential deployment by April 2026, with full readiness for up to 8,000 personnel scheduled by June.
Army Public Relations Chief Donny Pramono clarified in a written statement that “ready for deployment” does not necessarily mean troops will be sent immediately.
Rather, it indicates that the forces meet conditions for deployment, with the timing contingent on a political decision by the Indonesian government and applicable international protocols.
Pramono added that the army and the Defence Ministry are awaiting a final decision from President Prabowo Subianto on the deployment schedule.
Indonesian Army Chief of Staff Maruli Simanjuntak previously indicated that between 5,000 and 8,000 troops could be committed, but that numbers were still being finalized through ongoing negotiations.
The potential deployment comes amid concerns over foreign military involvement in Gaza. Senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan told Al Jazeera on Wednesday that Palestinians reject any form of foreign guardianship over the territory.
According to the Jordan Daily, Hamdan said Hamas had communicated directly with Jakarta, insisting that foreign forces remain neutral and avoid actions that conflict with Palestinian interests or serve as proxies for Israeli operations.
Indonesia’s engagement with the ISF is also linked to its participation in the U.S.-led Board of Peace.
Earlier this month, Foreign Minister Sugiono indicated that Indonesia could withdraw from the board if its objectives—particularly the advancement of Palestinian independence—were not being met.
Read Also: Indonesia Landslide: West Java Death Toll Rises To 34
He said President Prabowo had left open the option of withdrawal if the board’s direction “did not align” with Indonesia’s priorities, which include immediate peace in Gaza, broader peace in Palestine, and the realization of Palestinian sovereignty.
Preparations for deployment involve extensive training and logistical planning.
The Indonesian Army has been conducting exercises to ensure personnel are equipped for humanitarian operations and civilian protection tasks. This includes coordination with international partners involved in the ISF, as well as capacity-building programs for Palestinian police units.
Indonesian officials have stressed that any operational engagement will remain within the mandate approved by the UN Security Council.
Indonesia has historically supported Palestinian self-determination and has participated in previous peacekeeping and humanitarian initiatives in conflict zones.
The country’s contribution to the ISF reflects a continuation of this policy, with government officials highlighting a commitment to neutrality and adherence to international law.
While the scope of Indonesia’s involvement is still being determined, the government has underlined the conditional nature of participation. Any decision to deploy forces will consider both the operational framework of the ISF and the approval of Palestinian authorities.
Indonesian officials have stated that withdrawal remains a possible option if circumstances on the ground or the ISF’s direction conflict with agreed humanitarian and civilian protection objectives.
The next procedural steps involve securing final authorization from President Prabowo and coordinating with the UN and Palestinian authorities on the timing and composition of the contingent.
Full troop readiness is currently targeted by June 2026, though no definitive departure date has been set.








