Hong Kong authorities probe deadly blaze in Tai Po public housing, arrest eight over safety failures, with hundreds still missing and fire alarms non-functional.
The death toll from Hong Kong’s deadliest apartment fire in decades has risen to 128, with as many as 200 people still unaccounted for, authorities said Friday November 28, 2025, as investigators announced eight more arrests linked to the blaze.
The fire swept through a public housing estate in the city’s Tai Po district on Wednesday November 26, 2025, rapidly engulfing eight high-rise buildings and trapping residents inside. Officials warned the casualty figures are likely to increase as rescue operations continue.
Investigators have found that fire alarms across the complex were largely non-functional. Director of Fire Services Andy Yeung said inspections revealed alarms were not working in any of the eight towers, though it remains unclear whether they were operational on the day of the fire.
Eight individuals were arrested on Friday November 28, 2025, in connection with the disaster, including two directors of a consultancy firm advising on building maintenance, two project managers overseeing the renovation works, three scaffolding subcontractors, and an intermediary. Earlier in the week, three construction company employees were also arrested on suspicion of “gross negligence.”
Read Also: Singapore Bars Entry To Exiled Hong Kong Activist Nathan Law
The initial fire reportedly began on the lower floors of Wang Cheong House, Block 6 of Wang Fuk Court, which was home to more than 4,000 people, many elderly. At the time, all towers were undergoing renovations and wrapped in bamboo scaffolding and protective green mesh. Hong Kong’s Secretary for Security Chris Tang said the mesh and polystyrene boards around windows accelerated the fire’s spread, shattering windows and allowing flames to move indoors.
Residents and firefighters faced extreme conditions, with temperatures reportedly exceeding 500 degrees Celsius (930 degrees Fahrenheit). Some units reignited even after initial extinguishing efforts.
Hong Kong’s Labor Department has said that the buildings had been inspected 16 times since last year, most recently less than a week before the fire. Officials noted that the last inspection followed a complaint about workers smoking, prompting reminders to strengthen fire-prevention measures.
Survivors, including foreign domestic workers, remain in temporary shelters while authorities work with Indonesian and Philippine consulates to provide assistance. Families of those who died will receive compensation of HK$200,000 (approximately $25,700), while displaced households are set to receive a living allowance of HK$50,000 ($6,400).
The fire has shocked the city, which is known for strict building standards and a strong public safety record. Investigations are ongoing into the cause of the blaze and the rapid spread between buildings, a process officials say could take three to four weeks.








