Venezuela has withdrawn operating permits for six major international airlines after they suspended service to the country in response to a safety alert from the US Federal Aviation Administration, a decision that further reduces Venezuela’s already limited air links.
The move affects Iberia, TAP, Avianca, Latam Colombia, Turkish Airlines and Gol. Caracas accused the carriers of aligning with Washington by stopping flights without consultation and said they had “joined actions of state terrorism promoted by the United States.”
The FAA issued an advisory last week warning of a “potentially hazardous situation” for flights passing over Venezuela because of a “worsening security situation and heightened military activity.”
Venezuelan officials rejected the alert, insisting the US has no authority over the country’s airspace.
Read Also: Venezuela Airline Ultimatum Raises Travel And Security Concerns
Caracas had warned airlines earlier this week that they had 48 hours to resume flights or risk losing their access rights. The International Air Transport Association confirmed the ultimatum on Monday.
The carriers involved chose not to comply. Iberia said it hoped to restart flights once “full safety conditions” were restored, according to Reuters.
Air Europa and Plus Ultra had also suspended operations but kept their permits. Meanwhile, Copa and Wingo continue to fly to and from Venezuela, along with several domestic carriers serving routes to Colombia, Panama and Curaçao.
The cancellations widen an already significant gap in connectivity, as many major airlines pulled out of the market in previous years due to Venezuela’s economic crisis, currency controls and safety concerns.
The dispute comes during a period of worsening relations between Washington and Caracas. The US has deployed additional military assets around the Caribbean, saying it aims to counter President Nicolas Maduro’s alleged involvement in drug trafficking, a claim Maduro denies.
Caracas alleges the US is seeking regime change, while US officials insist their concerns center on organised crime and regional security.
With airlines pulling services and Venezuela enforcing permit withdrawals, travellers face even fewer options for reaching the country, and industry groups warn the gap could take years to rebuild.








