Israeli Army Chief Okays ‘Next Phase’ In Gaza Conflict

Israeli Army Chief Okays ‘Next Phase’ In Gaza Conflict
WhatsApp
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
LinkedIn
Print

Israel’s top military commander announced on Sunday that the army is preparing to intensify its offensive in Gaza, unveiling what he described as the “next phase” of the war—one that would deepen the campaign against Hamas while laying the groundwork for the reoccupation of the territory.

Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir, Israel’s chief of staff, made the remarks during a field tour of the Gaza Strip, where fighting has raged for ten months. “Today we are approving the plan for the next phase of the war,” he said in a statement released by the army. He insisted that Israeli forces had achieved the main goals of Operation Gideon’s Chariots, a ground assault launched in May that expanded Israel’s hold in parts of the enclave and forced thousands of Palestinians from northern Gaza.

“We will maintain the momentum of Operation Gideon’s Chariots while focusing on Gaza City,” Zamir declared. “We will continue to strike until the decisive defeat of Hamas.”

The announcement followed a decision last week by Israel’s Security Cabinet to endorse Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s proposal to fully reoccupy Gaza. The move drew sharp condemnation abroad and sparked protests at home, where critics warned that the plan would endanger Israeli captives still held in Gaza.

Read Also: Natural Diabetes Remedies Big Pharma Won’t Tell You

Military officials described the strategy as unfolding in phases. The first would involve surrounding Gaza City, pushing nearly a million residents farther south, and conducting raids into urban neighborhoods. A second stage would target the central refugee camps, large sections of which already lie in ruins. Zamir said the broader aim was not limited to Gaza alone but tied to a regional strategy of “striking all components of the axis, and first and foremost Iran.”

The war has left Gaza in ruins. Since October 2023, more than 61,900 Palestinians have been killed, according to health officials in the territory, with entire districts reduced to rubble and much of the population facing the threat of famine.

Israel now faces growing legal challenges on the world stage. Last November, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and his former defense minister, Yoav Gallant, accusing them of war crimes and crimes against humanity. At the same time, the International Court of Justice is hearing a genocide case brought against Israel for its conduct in the conflict.

For Israel, the “next phase” signals an escalation. For Palestinians, it marks yet another chapter in a war that has already cost tens of thousands of lives and upended an entire society.

Africa Digital News, New York

WhatsApp
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
LinkedIn
Print