February 2022

Disquiet As Thousands Protest Against Military Coup In Sudan

Disquiet As Thousands Protest Against Military Coup In Sudan

Thousands of Sudanese protesters on Monday staged a heavy marched against the October military coup which has led to scores of arrests, as authorities released some of those held, witnesses and lawyers have disclosed.

Regular protests calling for civilian rule have occurred throughout the impoverished northeast African country despite a deadly crackdown since the power grab led by army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

The coup, Sudan’s latest, sparked wide international condemnation and cuts in aid.

No fewer 82 people have been killed, many of them shot dead, and hundreds wounded by security forces, according to medics. The latest fatality came …

Malian Parliament Approves 5-Year Democratic Transition Plan

Malian Parliament Approves 5-Year Democratic Transition Plan

Mali’s lawmakers on Monday announced the approval of a plan that would allow the military junta to rule for up to five years, despite regional sanctions earlier imposed on the country over delayed elections.

Africa Daily News, New York recalls that after staging a coup in the impoverished Sahel state  sometime in August 2020, the country’s military rulers initially promised to stage a vote in February 2022.

But in December last year, the junta proposed staying in power for between six months and five years, citing security concerns.

In response, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) last month …

Hoodlums Behind Abia Cattle Market Killings – Ohanaeze

Hoodlums Behind Abia Cattle Market Killings – Ohanaeze

Apex Igbo Socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has blamed hoodlums for the recent killing of no fewer than eight traders and 20 cows at the New Cattle Market, Omumauzor in Ukwa West Council Area of Abia State last week. 

The socio-cultural group exonerated youths of the state from the crime after its preliminary investigations to unravel those behind the dastardly act which they had earlier condemned

A statement by Chief Alex Ogbonnia, national publicity secretary of the group, yesterday said: ‘We are delighted that a high powered team of Abia State government led by the chief of staff to the governor,

2023 I Am Ready To Get Dirty To Become President – Tinubu

2023: I Am Ready To Get Dirty To Become President – Tinubu

Ahead of Nigeria’s next general elections, the National Leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu has declared that he is ready to get dirty in the struggle to emerge the country’s next President.

The former Lagos State Governor who is a presidential aspirant for the 2023  polls on the platform of APC, made this known on Sunday during a consultation with the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi and the Olubadan-designate, Oba Lekan Balogun, seeking their various blessings.

The Asiwaju pledged that no other contender would intimidate him out of the race, stressing that he is out …

'Biden Ready To Meet Putin ‘At Any Time’ To Prevent War'

‘Biden Ready To Meet Putin ‘At Any Time’ To Prevent War’

US President Joe Biden would be willing to meet Russia’s Vladimir Putin ‘at any time’ to forestall a war in Ukraine, according to US Secretary of State who said Sunday Russia appeared on the verge of invading Ukraine.

In a rapid-fire round of US talk shows, Secretary of State Antony Blinken told CNN on Sunday evening ‘everything we’re seeing suggests that this is dead serious, that we are on the brink of an invasion.’

Africa Daily News, New York had earlier reported that aggressive military action has already begun in and around Ukraine, which is facing increased shelling from Russian-backed …

How I Almost Joined Man City In 2018 - Jorginho

How I Almost Joined Man City In 2018 – Jorginho

Chelsea midfield maestro, Jorginho has admitted he could have gone to Premier League leaders, Manchester City.

Africa Daily News, New York recalls that when the Club world cup winners secured Jorginho’s signature from Napoli in the summer of 2018, he had been linked to Pep Guardiola’ s team the entire offseason.

Chelsea’s then manager Maurizio Sarri had celebrated the signing the Italian after narrowly securing his services.

The Brazilian-born Italian has now admitted he could have gone to City, and would love to play for Pep Guardiola one day.

Read Also: Lukaku Tenders Apology To Chelsea Over ‘Unhappy’ Comments

‘A

Insecurity Nine Abducted As Bandits Attack Sokoto

Insecurity: Nine Abducted As Bandits Attack Sokoto

Bandits on Saturday attacked Yar Tsakuwa village, in Rabah Local Government Area of Sokoto State, abducting nine persons, including the serving councillor of the area, Lawali Bello.

Africa Daily News, New York gathered that two wives and a daughter of the former councillor of the area, Alhaji Abdullahi Garba, were among those abducted.

A resident who identified himself as Nazifi Abdullahi, narrated that the bandits came around midnight on Saturday and operated till 2:50am.

Read Also: Insecurity: Bandits Kill 11 In Fresh Kaduna Attack

They stormed and ransacked houses and shops, stole several motorcycles, food stuff and drugs.

‘They abducted

Queen Elizabeth Tests Positive For COVID-19, Palace Confirms

Queen Elizabeth Tests Positive For COVID-19, Palace Confirms

Queen Elizabeth II on Sunday tested positive for Covid-19 not too long after commemorating her 70 years on the throne, however, her aides have maintained that her symptoms were ‘mild’.

Africa Daily News, New York reports that the news is coming at a stressful time of scandal for the royal family and after Prince Charles, the queen’s eldest son and heir, tested positive on February 10, two days after meeting his mother at Windsor Castle.

No information was given then on whether Queen Elizabeth had taken any Covid-19 tests herself.

She resumed in-person audiences at the castle last week, but …

Nigerian Athlete Blessing Okagbare Reacts To 10-Year Ban

Nigerian Athlete Blessing Okagbare Reacts To 10-Year Ban

Highly rated Nigerian sprinter, Blessing Okagbare has reacted to the 10-year ban which was earlier slammed on her by the Disciplinary Tribunal of the Athletics Integrity Unit.

After being on suspension for over seven months with no clear direction on how her doping case will be adjudicated, the AIU on Friday announced that a 10-year ban has been placed on Okagbare.

In her reaction, Okagbare hinted that her lawyers are already studying the AIU decision ahead of their next line of action.

Read Also: Tokyo Olympics: FG Triples Prize Money For Oborodudu, Brume

‘My attention has been drawn to the

Magodo Lagos Dares FG, Heads Back To Supreme Court

Magodo: Lagos Dares FG, Heads Back To Supreme Court

Lagos State Government has moved to challenge the Federal Government of Nigeria on the Supreme Court ruling on the occupation of Magodo which has generated so much controversies.

The FGN had accused the state of delaying the enforcement of the February 10, 2012, judgement in suit no. SC/112/2002.

Africa Daily News, New York recalls that on January 5, Abubakar Malami, Attorney General and Justice Minister, decried the attack on President Muhammadu Buhari.

The AGF’s reaction followed South-West Governors’ condemnation after a Chief Superintendent of Police told Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu that officers deployed to Magodo would not leave.

Malami told them …

2023 Ayim Pius Breaks Silence On Rift With Obasanjo

2023: Ayim Pius Breaks Silence On Rift With Obasanjo

Former Senate President and Presidential aspirant, Ayim Pius Ayim, has opened up on an alleged face-off he had with former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Speaking on Friday, Ayim pointed out there are no grudges against Obasanjo, describing the former President as one who has always remained focused and determined in his activities.

Ayim, who had declared his intention to run in the 2023 presidential election, spoke in an interview on Channels Television which was monitored by Africa Daily News, New York.

‘I did not have any personal issue with (former) President Obasanjo,’ he said.

‘President Obasanjo was a very outstanding

WHO Reports First Wild Polio Outbreak In Malawi

WHO Reports First Wild Polio Outbreak In Malawi

The landlocked East African country of Malawi on Friday became the first country in the continent to report the first wild polio outbreak in several years.

Africa Daily News, New York reports that the wild type 1 poliovirus was discovered in a child in the city of Lilongwe, the World Health Organisation (WHO) announced yesterday.

Laboratory tests had shown that it had apparently been brought in from Pakistan, it said.

Read Also: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio Free

‘As long as wild polio exists anywhere in the world all countries remain at risk of importation of the virus,’ said WHO regional …