December 1, 2021

ISWAP Abducts Borno Govt Officials

ISWAP Abducts Govt Officials In Borno

No fewer than five officials of the Borno State government have reportedly been abducted by suspected members of the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP).

The victims, who were supervising the construction of Chibok-Damboa road, were forcefully taken away on Wednesday.

The incident occurred near Wovi, a remote village in Chibok Local Government Area.

Read Also: Civilians Flee As ISWAP Attack Borno Military Base

Africa Daily News, New York gathered that one of the abducted staff, a driver, escaped unhurt.

A top state official confirmed the incident to newsmen, “Yes, it is so sad and we are worry about …

Why Nigerian Army Intervened During EndSARS Protests - Lagos

Why Nigerian Army Intervened During EndSARS Protests – Lagos

The Lagos State Government has claimed that soldiers ‘intervened’ during the EndSARS protests in the state in October 2020 to assist civil authorities restore law and order in the state.

The Babajide-Sanwo-Olu led-Lagos State government made this revelation in its White Paper on the report of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Restitution for Victims of SARS Related Abuses and Other Matters which probed the EndSARS protests in the state last year.

The Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel in its fifth recommendation had said that the ‘Nigeria (sic) Army be discouraged in intervening in internal security.’

In its …

No Christian Should Be Killed In Zamfara, CAN Warns

No Christian Should Be Killed In Zamfara, CAN Warns

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has warned that no Christian should be killed in Zamfara State, while also calling on security agencies to protect all churches in the state and prevent terrorists from carrying out their latest threats against Christians living in the Northwestern State.

The Association submitted that the threat against Christians and churches by the terrorists is a divisive strategy against the effort of Christian and Muslim leaders towards ending criminalities in the North-West and ought to be condemned by all lovers of peace.

CAN also called on the Department of State Security and the Inspector General …

FG Begins Enforcement Of Mandatory Vaccination For Workers

FG Begins Enforcement Of Mandatory Vaccination For Workers

The Federal Government of Nigeria has commenced the enforcement of mandatory vaccination of civil workers against COVID-19 at the Federal Secretariat.

Africa Daily News, New York gathered that as early as 7:00 am on Wednesday morning, security men manned the main entrance to the Federal Secretariat where they demanded either a vaccination card or evidence of negative PCR test before allowing the civil servants to enter the Secretariat.

Some of the unvaccinated civil servants who spoke to reporters however questioned the Federal Government’s decision saying COVID-19 vaccination should not be made compulsory but a matter of choice.

Others said they …

Lesotho Ex-PM Charged With Killing His Wife

Lesotho Ex-PM Charged With Killing His Wife

Lesotho’s former Prime Minister Thomas Thabane was on Tuesday charged with the 2017 murder of his estranged wife Lipolelo Thabane.

Africa Daily News, New York recalls that his current wife, Maesaiah, was charged with the same crime last year.

She was living with Mr Thabane at the time of the killing and they are accused of hiring hitmen. They have both denied any involvement.

Mr Thabane stepped down in May 2020 following months of pressure after he was named as a suspect.

The case has shocked many and caused political ructions in the small landlocked kingdom which is entirely surrounded

NCDC Confirms Two Cases Of Omicron Variant In Nigeria

NCDC Confirms Two Cases Of Omicron Variant In Nigeria

 The first case of the Omicron variant of the Covid-19 virus has been confirmed in Nigeria by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

This was contained in a press release issued by the centre and signed by the Director-General, Dr Ifedayo Adetifa on Wednesday morning.

Africa Daily News, New York had earlier reported that the Omicron variant, a new strain of the coronavirus disease, was first reported by South Africa and first detected in Botswana.

Following the discovery, countries such as the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Israel among others placed travel bans on southern African countries.

Read Also: WHO

Falz, Mr. Macaroni Reject Sanwo-Olu’s Peace Walk Invite

Falz, Mr. Macaroni Reject Sanwo-Olu’s Peace Walk Invite

Popular skit Maker and comedian, Debo Adebayo popularly known as Mr. Macaroni, and rapper, Folarin Falana, known as Falz, have turned down the invitation handed to them by the Governor of Lagos State,  Babajide Sanwo-Olu for a peace rally as part of the wound healing process in the aftermath of the #EndSARS panel report.

Sanwo-Olu had invited the duo, who are strong #EndSARS supporters and other youth championing the #EndSARS agitation to a peace rally slated for December.

He stated that the ‘Walk for Peace’ would herald the healing of the land, extending an open invitation to the youths, members …

Why We Won’t Prosecute Repentant Boko Haram Fighters - Zulum

Why We Won’t Prosecute Repentant Boko Haram Fighters – Zulum

Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum has given reasons why the prosecution of repentant Boko Haram fighters is not going to be considered.

While presenting the 2022 budget at the State Assembly, Zulum pointed out that insurgents will not be encouraged to surrender if repentant insurgents are tried in court.

He said, ‘Mr. Speaker, Honourable Members, we need Allah’s guidance and the utmost wisdom to work for an end to the crisis facing our dear state.’

‘Prosecuting all the criminals (insurgents) would have been most appropriate but if we insist on it, we would discourage others out there that are

20 Dead, Over 14 Missing In Kano Boat Accident

20 Dead, Over 14 Missing In Kano Boat Accident

Kano State Emergency Relief Agency on Tuesday confirmed the death of no fewer than 20 travellers in a tragic boat accident that occurred on Bagwai River, they also disclosed that 14 passengers were still missing.
Speaking to newsmen, the Executive Secretary of the agency, Saleh Jilly stated that six passengers were rescued adding that they were currently being attended to by medical personnel at Bagwai General Hospital.
He said hopes of additional survivals were rather dim as those engaged in the rescue operation had folded up for the day.