March 21, 2020

New Slovak Government Sworn In Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

New Slovak Government Sworn In Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

Slovak President Zuzana Caputova on Saturday appointed a centre-right coalition government headed by Igor Matovic, leader of the Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OLANO) party, after a February election which swept anti-corruption parties to power.

Matovic and his team were sworn in at a ceremony with participants wearing protective masks as a precaution against the coronavirus. Slovakia has reported 137 cases of the virus this month with no deaths.

‘Let’s go to battle’

The government handover came as the coronavirus outbreak

Kenyans Flee To Villages As Govt Issues Stricter Rules

Kenyans Flee To Villages As Govt Issues Stricter Rules

Nairobi — Despite several calls urging Kenyans to minimize movement and practice social isolation, one local online bus ticketing company has reported a surge in its number of bookings.

Quick Bus says they have registered a 40 percent increase in bookings this month, with Mombasa, Meru, Kisumu, Busia, and Kakamega leading.

The company’s Director of Growth Jefferson Aluda says part of their travelers are those fleeing the city for up-countries which they consider safer.

The travelers also include students, who have been heading home after the government ordered the closure of schools to combat spreading the coronavirus pandemic.

Dybala, Maldini Test Positive For Coronavirus

Dybala, Maldini Test Positive For Coronavirus

Argentina striker Paulo Dybala said Saturday that he has become the third Juventus player to test positive for coronavirus while former AC Milan defender Paolo Maldini revealed that he and his son have also been infected.

“Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you know that we have received the Covid-19 test results and that Oriana (Sabatini, his girlfriend) and I are positive,” the 26-year-old Dybala tweeted.

“Fortunately, we are perfectly fine. Thank you for your messages.”

Italian champions Juventus said that Dybala had been self-isolating since Wednesday.

“He will continue to be monitored. He is well and is asymptomatic,” …

WADA Issues Dope Testing Guidelines Amid Coronavirus

WADA Issues Dope Testing Guidelines Amid Coronavirus

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) issued new guidelines on Friday to facilitate continued testing amid the constraints of the coronavirus pandemic.

Noting that the spread of COVID-19 had evolved into “an even greater health and societal emergency” since its March 6 communique, WADA urged Anti-Doping Organizations (ADOs) to act in accordance with restrictions placed by local health authorities “to ensure proper protection of athletes and doping control personnel, while protecting the integrity of doping control programs, particularly in the lead-up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

WADA’s latest guidelines advise anti-doping organizations to make sure that sample collectors …

Air Canada To Lay Off More Than 5,000 Flight Attendants

Air Canada To Lay Off More Than 5,000 Flight Attendants

Air Canada plans to temporarily lay off more than 5,000 flight attendants due to the new coronavirus pandemic, their union said Friday.

The layoffs would affect 3,600 flight attendants at the flagship Canadian airline and all 1,549 flight attendants at its budget Air Canada Rouge affiliate, the union that represents the flight attendants said.

That accounts for more than half the membership of the Air Canada component of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, which represents roughly 10,000 flight attendants.

“This has been the most challenging time any of us will likely ever experience as flight attendants,” union president Wesley …

Nigeria Shuts Down All Passenger Train Services

Nigeria Shuts Down All Passenger Train Services

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) on Saturday announced the shut down of all passenger train services in the country.

The suspension is set to take effect from Monday, March 23, 2020.

This was confirmed in a statement issued by Spokesman of the NRC, Mr. Yakub Mahmood.

Read Also: Coronavirus: Buhari Can’t Protect Nigerians – Pastor Giwa

The statement said that the board and management of the corporation approved the shut down as part of the measures being taken by the Federal Govt to prevent the spread of coronavirus pandemic.

“Further information on passengers’ train services will be made available in …

Breaking - Nigeria Records 10 New Cases Of Coronavirus

Breaking: Nigeria Records 10 New Cases Of Coronavirus

Minister of Health,  Prof. Osagie Ehanire has disclosed that Nigeria has recorded 10 new cases of the deadly Coronavirus, bringing the total to 22 cases.

Ehanire, on his twitter handle on Saturday said the 10 new cases were recorded in Lagos and Abuja.

“That is a total of 22 cases in Nigeria: Lagos 16, FCT 3, Ekiti 1 and Ogun 2. two have been discharged.
All cases are clinically stable and receiving adequate care,” he said.

According to the Minister, all new cases were Nigerians, nine returning from Canada, France, Netherlands, Spain and UK and one close contact of a …

Innoson Vehicles Releases New Models Of Vehicle

Innoson Vehicles Releases New Models Of Vehicle

Innoson Vehicles Manufacturing Company has produced and released new models of vehicles. It will be recalled that last year, December 6th, 2019, in a press briefing at the company headquarters in Nnewi, the Chairman/CEO of Innoson Vehicles Chief Dr. Innocent Chukwuma OFR, announced the official release of three new set of vehicle brands namely; IVM Ikenga- a 7 Seater capacity MPV; IVMG20- Smart- also a 7 Seater capacity MPV and IVM Seriki- a 15 Seater Bus.

Read Also: SON Certifies Innoson Vehicles, Issues MANCAP Certificate

Innoson Vehicles in addition to the ones earlier released few months ago is proud to …

Coronavirus Cases In Nigeria Jump To 22, Lagos Has 7

Coronavirus Cases In Nigeria Jump To 22, Lagos Has 7

Nigeria’s coronavirus cases jumped overnight from 12 to 22, with three new cases in Abuja and seven new ones in Lagos.

The Nigerian centre for Disease Control made this known on Saturday.

” Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed 10 new cases of #COVID19 in #Nigeria. Of the 10 new cases, 3 are in the Federal Capital Territory and 7 are in Lagos

9 out of the 10 cases have travel history outside Nigeria in the last one week. The 10th case is a close contact of a confirmed case”, NCDC said.

Read Also: Coronavirus: Buhari Can’t Protect Nigerians –

massacre Uganda's Kanungu Cult Massacre That Killed 700 Followers

Uganda’s Kanungu Cult Massacre That Killed 700 Followers

Judith Ariho does not shed any tears as she recalls the church massacre in which her mother, two siblings and four other relatives were among at least 700 people who died.

Exactly 20 years ago, in south-western Uganda’s Kanungu district, they were locked inside a church, with the doors and windows nailed shut from the outside. It was then set alight.

Two decades on, the horror of the event is still too much for Ms Ariho, who appears to only be able to cope with the trauma by closing herself off from the emotion.

massacre
This still from archive footage shows
Nigeria's Evil Genius Trumpeter Who Influenced Fela Kuti

Nigeria’s Evil Genius Trumpeter Who Influenced Fela Kuti

Nigeria has been mourning music legend Victor Olaiya, who created Nigeria’s highlife rhythms and influenced a generation of musicians including Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. Nduka Orjinmo looks back at the life of the trumpeter, who died last month at the age of 89.

Just like the well-turned out government filing clerk that he was, Olaiya always carried a pen in his breast pocket. This was not for noting instructions that had to be precisely followed, but rather because he needed to write down the musical notes and phrases as they came to him.

This was at the beginning of the 1950s, his …

Netflix Commits $100m To Help Out Of Work Actors, Crews

Netflix Commits $100m To Help Out Of Work Actors, Crews

Streaming television giant Netflix on Friday launched a $100 million fund to help actors and production crews endure the hit to paychecks caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The fund is meant to help offset hardship in the “creative community,” with most of the money going to financially troubled workers on Netflix productions around the world, according to Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos.

“This community has supported Netflix through the good times, and we want to help them through these hard times, especially while governments are still figuring out what economic support they will provide,” Sarandos said in an online …